Friday, November 17, 2006

Chez Mizfixit

Last Monday, I did the unthinkable...I actually cooked! And people ate the meal...and lived to see another dawn...and even said it was good!

Why is this worthy of a post? Well...I don't cook. I hate to cook. The mere thought of cooking renders me into a quivering mass of Jello. If it can't be popped in the microwave, forget it! My family jokes that in order for me to claim that I cooked, I must apply heat to a pan. The only reason this event transpired is because my aunt & uncle came for a visit. Someone mentioned pork chops and Mom volunteered me to cook them.

Here's how it went.......
I shopped for my ingredients:
Boneless pork loin chops, fresh garlic, fresh ginger & reduced sodium soy sauce.
I prepared the marinade:
Peel & thinly slice the fresh garlic & fresh ginger, placing slices on top of the chops, pour soy sauce over chops and fill the marinade dish until just below the top of the chops. Wait 5-6 hours.
I cooked the chops:
Broil the chops until done, scrape the garlic & ginger off, serve!

We had fresh asparagus, rolls and Turning Leaf Reserve Riesling with the chops. YUM!

A variation on this recipe (for those who like a little zing) is to add thinly sliced jalapenos to the top of the chops when preparing the marinade. Also yummy!

This unnamed recipe is what's left of an ex-boyfriend I had many moons ago while at grad school in Phoenix. My uncle was very amused when I told him I kept the recipe and ditched the boyfriend. Hey, maybe after 18 years I should name the recipe? Hmmmmmmm....whaddya think? Better than the Boyfriend Chops? Kicked him to the Curb Chops? Who's Sorry Now Chops?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Who's Sorry Now Chops.. LOL. You are a gourmet cooker, not just a cooker, no wonder you do it few and far between. It all sounds delish. My invitation must have got lost in the mail but that's okay. I'll remember that ;)

BTW, we miss you at work!

11/18/06, 9:12 AM  
Blogger Shirlee said...

Hi! I've had loads of fun readiing your blog (via Lucy). I have a love affair with tools and hardware stores too.

I hear ya on the cooking thing. I hate cooking but love to bake. But I plod on since the DH and kid need to eat.

I'd like to post your blog in my links if that's okay.

I'll be back for a visit:)

11/21/06, 7:07 PM  
Blogger Mizfixit said...

Shirlee,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog! And thanks for linking to me :) I've just been to visit "Toast Bones" and enjoyed it very much. I hope you don't mind if I link to you as well.

What is it with the baking thing? I can bake all day long too (except for bread, just can't get bread dough to rise) but the mere thought of making anything else sends me off to orbit Jupiter!!!

11/23/06, 10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger